A message from our Local Governing Body (LGB)
Saturday 20th June, 2020
Hello parents, carers, and pupils.
Who could have predicted the changes we have seen over the last few months, in our lives, our village and within our children education?
As a parent, home schooling has had its highs and lows! But thank goodness for the sunshine and outdoor learning. Never have I been so impressed with how our pupils have managed the new transition to the new ‘normal’.
The rollercoaster of school developments has been breath taking at times too, with Government updates coming in daily.
As the Chair of Governors, I have been busy coordinating with the board, staff and leadership as we have moved through one week at a time.
I wanted to share with you what the Governors have been up-to this during this period – we have certainly been keeping busy!
- Working with the staff and leadership on ensuring that the school was safe for pupils to return to learning. Checking Risk Assessments, looking at plans for social distancing and making sure staff and pupil wellbeing is of the highest standard.
- Coordinating Interviews for our new staff alongside support from Mr Wade – Principal of Huish. All the Governors have been involved and we were impressed with the appointments made.
- Governors have been completing several online webinars to extend their role of Governor. In March I started my 9-month program ‘Development of Chairs’ delivered by the National Governance Association programme. The programme unfortunately is paused during Lockdown- we hope to start in a virtual way, next month to continue the program, which is great.
- Making sure our key staff members who went ‘above and beyond’ during the first months of the lockdown, were sent thank you letters and small gift to show our appreciation for all they had done for the school.
- Keeping the Facebook page and our new Twitter pages updated with exciting news, photos of pupils’ work, links to learning and our fundraising links.
- Working with staff on new plans and developments for the new school term.
- Trustees and Governors have been dedicating several hours a week, collaborating on Trust developments for the new term.
- Continuing with LGB meetings through online TEAMs so we are regularly discussing the developments and informed of school as plans have changed during Covid.
- We have ratified all the new curriculum plans and link Governors are now allocated to subjects and staff leads for each subject, and we are planning to coordinate meetings to discuss the curriculum subjects in preparation for the new school year.
We are looking to expand our Governor board for September 2020 and would love to see a couple of parents join us as Parent Governors. Please do email me if this is something you would like more information about the role.
As always, I welcome any thoughts and ideas you would like to share with the board, please do email me.
We hope you all have a great end of summer term and will keep you all posted regularly with any updates.